Friday, February 9, 2007

Thursday... My Name Is Earl... Ep. 2-16... "Blow"

MNIE went a little more good-feely than comedic in this one, although it's always funny so it's okay. Joy has a half-sister from her dad's infidelity and it turns out to be her "sworn nemesis." Which is kind of funny because we've never seen her on the show before. The casting was great; Joy as a kid and Joy as a pre-teen (?) were played perfectly. I think Jaime herself played younger versions of Joy usually. I'd have to check.

So by the end of this one, Joy makes up with her half-sister and is pregnant with her and Ray-Ray's kid. Ray-Ray-Ray. She thinks being impregnated will help her not be incarcerated, and not being pregnant allows Liberty to continue wrestling. Earl never does cross the item off his list visually (stole a girl's identity), although he says he will.

I love how consistent everything is on this show. Joy says "my deaf lawyer" every single time, as if people forget she's deaf or that she has multiple lawyers, and the deaf part is used to differentiate. This type or writing is usually annoying because it's so repetitive, but they make it work. The episode works in Joy's fighting ability again, even though she gets her butt kicked. Also, Randy asks what half of a sister Liberty is, top or bottom. While I didn't like this joke at first, I remember when he asked Earl what half of Catalina would be naked, the front or back. I pictured Earl explaining to him about top and bottom, and this is where he tries to use that knowledge.

There was also another reference to Joy's prom date stabbing her.

Liberty's kinda hot, eh? DJ Qualls was pretty good as her boyfriend, and I know it was supposed to mirror Joy and Darnell. But I dunno, I wasn't thrilled with that part.

I was surprised at how little reaction Joy got when she flashed Randy. But "at the bottom of that fuzzy lightning bolt" was great, both for how Randy described it and the idea that Joy "decorates" herself. And the smile Randy gets on his face after being hit in the head with a chair is funny.

Randy: (yelling at Liberty) You, go to the back of the bus.
(crowd boos)
Earl: (voiceover) Randy, may have had the perfect head for wrestling, but his heart was a little too soft, and he just couldn't take the booing.
Randy: I'm not really the man. I'm Randy and I'm nice. I like black people, I love Oprah especially when she acts black.

No comments: