Sunday, February 11, 2007

Friday... Monk... Ep. 5-14 "Mr. Monk Visits A Farm"

I like Monk, i really do. But as they make more and more episodes it just seems all the same. I liked when he made a little progress toward something, like his wife's murder case. But now he just goes somewhere where he is uncomfortable and solves a lame case. This one was especially bad since they didn't even have many suspects. We all know who it was from the get-go. Well, that's not fair. A lot of times they will show the murder in the teaser before the credits, and it's a matter of watching Monk solve it rather than a whodunit. And sometimes I like that. Anyway, about the episode.

When I say it was bad, it wasn't so much the episode. It was fairly funny, and there was the added sympathetic Randy Disher story. Randy messes up a lot though so until he mentioned it was his uncle who died, I didn't really get why he was taking it so hard. He asks Monk to come and see if he can find out anything in case his uncle was murdered. Which of course he was. And Monk has to take "a bus? a bus? to a farm?" It's funny when Monk almost turns down cases because of his fears. Although lately they seem to be focusing more on that, rather than the subtlety of his affliction and how it affects his work. Although he was counting the chicken feed instead of just throwing handfuls in, which was funny. I always hate the part of the episode that they've shown in the commercials. especially with USA, because they over-advertise their own shows and they show the same 20 second clip about 8 times an hour. And hell, I don't even know who the hell Brooke Adams is. Why should I care she is guest starring? (Oh. Now that I look her up, she is Tony Shaloub's wife. I guess that explains it!) Which also explains the joke about him being married, and his wife being dead. to which she has mixed feelings about.

So anyway, Monk solves the case and uses Randy's sleep-hypnosis self-help tape to tell him what happened to he can solve the case and become a cop again. which gives him faux confidence that he can solve cases in his sleep. So at least we know we won't be seeing a Super-Randy case solving machine. But my question is, when messes up again, what's stopping him from quitting again? Oh well.

Monk thought he got high. I usually get really annoyed at any marijuana related jokes, since I have a strong opinion on it not being this fun thing everyone sees it as. But him handcuffing himself to a tractor and going insane about how he's getting the munchies was kind of funny. Only because of his character.

On a side note, I hate TV.com's cast list. They still list Bitty Schram, but don't list Emmy Clarke, the girl who plays Natalie's daughter. They don't seem to like updating.

No comments: